Tomorrow in GE 103 I had scheduled to cover an overview of continuous fair division problems. But I am grading the test they took this morning on voting and discrete fair division, and it is an absolute train wreck. The most basic principles and elementary math are being tortured to death. There is no way they are ready, willing, or able as a class to take on something new. So, what should I do? Should I:
- Suck it up and teach the continuous fair division stuff anyway?
- Work through each problem on the test “live” so they can see how it was supposed to be done?
- Let them start reviewing for their final exam (however that is supposed to happen)?
- Cancel class and hold open office hours instead?
- Play games, like this or this?
If it works out, I’ll just do all my lesson planning via input from the comment section. If it doesn’t, then I have someone else to blame!