Don’t look now, but it’s the return of the Friday Random 10. Ten songs selected at random from my family’s, um, eclectic iTunes library. Notice how I say “my family’s” library, so as to deflect questions about why there are so many kids’ songs or Glee stuff coming up.
- Candles (Glee cast version); Glee: The Music Presents the Warblers
- Spiritual; Johnny Cash, Unchained
- BWV Praeludium et Fuga in A; James Kibbie, Bach Organ Works: Preludes and Fugues
- Sara; Fleetwood Mac, Greatest Hits
- It Doesn’t Matter; Alison Krauss & Union Station, So Long So Wrong
- Celebration; Kool & the Gang, Gold
- Amazed; Lonestar, Lonely Grill
- All the Way My Savior Leads Me; Rich Mullins, The World as Best I Remember It, vol. 2
- Soul Refreshing; Robert Randolph & The Family Band, Unclassified
- Jealous Hearted Man; Muddy Waters, Hard Again
Let’s focus this week on James Kibbie, a master organist at the University of Michigan. What’s great about Kibbie, aside from his amazing talent, is that he recently made the entire catalogue of his Bach recordings available as free downloads on his website. Go look at that website — this is a lot of music. What a great gift to the world and for all of us who love beautiful music. I think I got about 12 hours’ worth from there myself, including the track listed above, and once I finish all of that, I’ll be back.
I couldn’t find any video of Dr. Kibbie, but here’s a video of Scott Dettra playing Bach on the organ at West Point.