You thought I’d forgotten all about the Friday Random 10, didn’t you?
- Robin & Marian (Nickel Creek, Nickel Creek)
- Another Record (Genesis, Abacab)
- One More Red Nightmare (King Crimson, Red)
- 83 (John Mayer, Room for Squares)
- Peace, Be Still (Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Three Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest)
- Fortress Around Your Heart (Sting, The Dream of the Blue Turtles)
- Does Everyone Stare (The Police, Regatta de Blanc)
- My Redeemer Lives (Mark Heard, High Noon)
- I Get a Kick Out of You (Dave Brubeck, Ken Burns Jazz: Dave Brubeck)
- I Need to Know (Marc Anthony, Marc Anthony)
King Crimson (#3 in the list) came in many different varieties, each very different from all the others. But here’s a video of a more recent incarnation of the band doing “Red” from the Red album. I think this is from the mid-1990’s, since the band is in its six-man lineup from the tour supporting the THRAK album. Front and center is the incomparable Tony Levin on bass.
- Be Ever Wonderful (Earth Wind & Fire, All ‘n All)
- The Lighthouses Tale (Nickel Creek, Nickel Creek)
- Footprints (Kelly Joe Phelps, Roll Away the Stone)
- Shenandoah (Jefferson’s Theme) (various, Lewis & Clark soundtrack)
- Caritas habundat in omnia (Hildegard von Bingen, performed by Sequentia, Canticles of Ecstasy)
- Starless (King Crimson, Red)
- Lovely Rita (Beatles, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band)
- The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced?)
- I Should Have Known Better (Beatles, A Hard Day’s Night)
- Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine (James Brown, The CD of JB)
I’m tempted to go dredge up some video of King Crimson doing something from Red, because that album is probably one of the finest rock albums made and the live shows that feature material from it are superb.
But instead, it’s Friday, so it seems appropriate to get as funky as possible. With that, here’s James Brown and his impossibly tight backing band doing “Sex Machine”. This looks like it’s from around 1975, which is when he was still at the height of his powers.